Everyone will be spoilt for choice for local events this weekend! Teddington Bowling Club is hosting an open weekend where interested members can pop along and join in some games and bowling lessons. Also all weekend visitors can drop in to the Teddington Artists exhibition hosted in the atrium of the NPL buildings, £3 entry fee and proceeds go towards Shooting Star Chase and the League of Friends of Teddington Memorial Hospital.
BBC newscaster Nicholas Owen will be in Teddington Waterstones signing copies of his new memoirs ‘Days Like This’ from 9:30-11:30am. Afterwards he will be heading over to Fulwell Bus Garage with many others for the Trolleybus 50 day to compere during the proceedings that will mark the 50th Anniversary of the last trolleybuses to run in London.
The monthly antiques and collectibles market will be visiting Teddington at Elleray Hall on Saturday 9:30am-4pm.
The Teddington Society Environment Group will be carrying out one of their many litter picks, this time at the station from 10-12am. The Society are keen for the station to give a good impression to visitors to the town and to be welcoming for all that use it. If you see the team on the litter pick, say hi and you can even join in if you wish!
Finally wrapping up Saturday St Mary With St Alban will have arranged a Sports Quiz starting at 7:30pm to kick-off a series of community Olympics events. £12 per person will let you join a team for Olympic-themed trivia and includes curry provided by Teddington Tandoori.
First thing on Sunday there is a car boot sale at Sacred Heart Primary School 7:30-11:30am. Next up Bushy Park will be the destination for thousands of visitors for the historic Chestnut Sunday celebration. There hasn’t been much sun lately but the bloom has none-the-less appeared on Chestnut Avenue’s trees, let’s hope the at least that the rain stays away!
The parade Starts at 12:30pm on Chestnut Avenue at Teddington Gate leading towards the fountain and the grass area by the children’s playground.
On offer year will be:
• Traditional Fairground ‘Galloper’ Carousel plus other rides & stalls
• Arena displays, showing historical re-enactments and riding displays
• 50’s-60’s band
• Pony rides from Park Lane Stables
• Historical re-enactment groups from the Ancient Greeks & Vikings, English Civil War, WW1 through to the Gulf War
• Military Vehicle camp & stationary vehicle display reflecting Bushy Park’s wartime history
• Classic cars, motorcycles and cycles (including the Teddington Squadron)
• St John Ambulance & Police information and advice
• Displays about Bushy’s wildlife & history, lift up a tree, The Friends of Bushy & Home Parks, The Horse Rangers Association, Sports Clubs, NPL & more
• A number of local charities information stands and fund-raising activities
• Refreshment kiosks
Chestnut Avenue itself and access to car parks will be closed to traffic around the parade (12:15-1:30pm). After the parade the main fairground, vehicles and stalls event will take place all afternoon until 4.30pm. PS you can always get the Trolleybus there!
Four local watersports clubs are joining together on Sunday for a joint open day so that everyone can enjoy the fun on the Thames. Visitors will be able to learn how to canoe, dragon boat, outrig, row or skiff from 2-4:30pm at the end of Trawlock Way, next to Teddington School.